- This is the most popular antivirus on planet Earth.
- The Free version is among the best offers on the market.
- Avast Secureline is an incredible VPN.
- The company has been around since 1991.
- Impressive results in third-party tests.
- The dashboard is very friendly and easy to use.
- Great value for the money.
- The brand-new Secure Browser is totally free.
Let us start our Avast review by saying that this is probably the most respected and recognized name in the industry. Overall, there are 400+ million devices under its protection right now, and the client base keeps getting bigger. They have been around since 1991 and, along with Kaspersky, are the leaders of the race. As you will learn soon, versatility and flexibility are this company’s biggest selling points, and along with the antivirus packages, there’s also a browser – Secure (used to be called Avast Safezone two years ago), a VPN service, and several tiny-yet-useful apps.
There’s an antivirus solution that will fit even the most modest budget. And regardless of which tier you go with, you’ll always get all the latest updates. The aforementioned Virtual Private Network – Avast Secureline – comes as a bonus with the most expensive package, but can also be bought separately. During the independent tests, the Avast products constantly prove their worth and always enter the list of Top-3 most secure antiviruses. The user interface is very intuitive, well-designed, and fast, which pretty much makes Avast Antivirus perfect not only for the pros but also the beginners who want a “plug-and-play” kind of software.
- Devices running on Windows OS. The Avast Windows 10 client is great.
- Regular users and business owners.
- People that put security and privacy above all.
- Users looking for entry-level protection. Upgrading to the higher tears is very easy.
The List Of Pros And Cons
Let us take a closer look at the pros and cons and see whether this company’s products are as good as they say. One thing is certain: you won’t be disappointed with Avast, as 400 million users around the world simply can’t be wrong. With it, you’ll get a strong, reliable protector that won’t put too much strain on your computer and battle the malware without you even noticing it. Avast for Android, for example, is totally free and does a great job of keeping the viruses at bay.
- One of the fastest and most secure antiviruses.
- Detection/removal rate is impressive.
- The Avast For Business packages are among the best offers on the market.
- User-friendly, easy, and intuitive.
- An excellent value for money.
- The 30-day MBG (Money-Back Guarantee) is available with the top-tier plans (except for Ultimate).
- Avast Mobile Security for Android is totally free.
- The list of additional tools is quite impressive.
- It might be a bit difficult to make sense of all the various packages.
- Sadly, it’s not on sale for iOS. The Avast VPN is the only available product.
- The scans can be slow, especially on older machines.
- The free version comes with a limited set of features.
Reliability And Security
In this section of our Avast Antivirus review, we’ll see just how reliable and secure this world-famous product is. For most modern-day antiviruses, it’s almost impossible to earn a top score in offline and real-time virus detection and removal tests. Thankfully, that’s not the case here. Avast is doing a fantastic job of gathering info from the computers of its clients (again, 400+ million people), which helps it come up with countermeasures to the new malware in a matter of hours. Avast Antivirus reviews praise the speed of scans and the fact that it doesn’t make computer freeze. Obviously, you can schedules malware scans.
If you’re a fan of video games, the Game Mode will come in handy. It turns off any notifications and scans so that there’s no interference. AV-Test recently put the free version through a test, and it blocked 100% of the incoming threats. They also confirmed that the average user wouldn’t really notice that the antivirus is running, as it doesn’t need a lot of resources to work. At the same time, AV-Comparatives revealed a 99, 5% detection rate during their Avast security review. It’s still quite impressive, though, and is on par with Kaspersky (99.7%) and other industry leaders. Plus, it won 5 Advanced+ awards. In the SE Labs test, Avast was lagging a bit behind Kaspersky and ESET but managed to “outrun” Bitdefender.
Ease Of Use
The Avast download routine is very simple and straightforward. All you have to do is visit the official website, select one of the available packages, and download it on your device. You can even find the free Avast security package on other websites, but it would be best not to do that. It won’t take more than a couple of minutes to install it on your device. It doesn’t really matter whether you need Avast for Mac or Windows, as the clients are all fast, reliable, and versatile. Ease of use has always been this provider’s strongest suit, actually.
If you ever want to delete any of the antivirus packages from this company, don’t hesitate to use the free Avast Removal Tool. One last thing before we move on to the plans: do you know what Avast Safeprice is for? This tiny browser extension is a shopper’s best friend. It will help you find the best offers on the Internet at the moment so that you can get the best deal. This app compares the prices from different online stores, making the whole process of shopping much faster and more enjoyable. Without a doubt, Avast Safeprice is among the best free offers out there.
Package Features – What Does Avast Antivirus Have To Offer?
As mentioned earlier, this is one of the most versatile and flexible providers on the market. They have packages for regular users, business owners, and an impressive list of additional software/apps. Let us take a closer look at the current plans and see which one is best for you. A quick reminder before we start: the aforementioned Avast Safezone browser is now called Secure and is absolutely free. You can download it right now without having to buy one of the packages. Sadly, it is only available for the Windows systems (starting with Win 7). It is private, secure, blocks ads, and even comes with a built-in antivirus. Go ahead and take Avast Safezone for a spin.
If you don’t want to change your regular browser, then go with the free Chrome extension. During our Avast Online Security review, we learned that it’s quite an amazing thing and protects your privacy on the Internet.
Avast was initially created to be used on the Microsoft OS, as it was the most popular system 2-3 decades ago. That partially explains why there are so many options on Win compared to the other systems. If you want to get Avast for Mac, you’ll be a bit disappointed by the lack of options. But let’s start with the Windows packages first.
The Windows Options
- Avast Antivirus Free. This is the most basic plan. With it, you get quite a strong product that will protect your device from the outside threats. For blocking viruses and other malware, this is a decent antivirus (check the test results again in the Reliability And Security section). True, the free version doesn’t come with many features, but for basic protection, it is more than decent.
- Avast Internet Security. This is the second tier and will cost you 60 dollars a year ($110 for 2 years and $160 for 3 years). According to the company, this is their most popular product. The list of features includes a strong firewall, Real Site (prevents the hackers from accessing your router’s DNS), Sandbox (allows the users to run suspicion files in a safe environment, thus protecting their devices), Anti-Spam (blocks potentially dangerous spam/phishing emails), and Ransomware Shield (keeps suspicious programs from changing/deleting any files on your device).
- Avast Premier. For 80 dollars a year ($150 for 2 years and $220 for 3 years), you’ll get everything from the IS package plus features like Webcam Shield (blocks suspicious apps from accessing your webcam), Data Shredder (deletes files you don’t need for good), and ASU (Automatic Software Updater; it just finds updates to the most frequently used apps on your computer and, well, updates them). That’s it for our Avast Premier review. The most expensive package is up next.
- Avast Ultimate. Despite the steep price-tag, you’ll get a pretty great deal with this plan. It costs 120 dollars ($220 for 2 years and $330 for 3 years) and comes with Avast Secureline – a great VPN – Passwords Premium, and Avast Cleanup Premium (it’s a great tune-up/clean-up app for optimizing the OS). Separately, the VPN costs $80 a year. For the password protector, you’ll have to pay $20 a year. Finally, Cleanup Premium costs $50. As you can see, with Ultimate, you’ll be saving a lot of money (same goes for IS and Premier). But make sure you need all that software. For most users, Internet Security is an optimal pick.
The Mac Options
If you need Avast for Mac, you have the following options to choose from:
- Security For Mac Free. This is the Mac alternative to the free version on Windows. It is just as fast, reliable, and user-friendly. You can schedule scans and surf the web with the antivirus constantly warning you about suspicious/unsafe sites. For some basic protection, this is a great product.
- Security Pro For Mac. For 60 dollars, you get ransomware protection, real-time security alerts, and more. It is an alternative to Internet Security. If you decide to go with this plan, additional software like Avast Secureline, Cleanup Pro, and Password Premium will be available with huge discounts. That’s actually it for Avast for Mac. The software we just mentioned can be bought separately, but for a higher price.
The Android Options
Avast Mobile Security is a totally free app for Android. For emailing, shopping, and banking, it’s a great choice. Avast Secureline for Android devices is a lot cheaper and costs only 20 dollars. We were impressed by how fast and reliable it was during out extensive Avast Mobile Security review. According to the critics, it’s one of the best VPNs not only for the Win/Mac systems but also for mobile gadgets. And, there’s a 7-day trial. Good news: there are trials on almost every single Avast product. Go to the official website to know for sure, because they are changing their policy quite often. Passwords and Cleanup are free for Android right now.
The iOS Options
Unfortunately, there are no Avast antiviruses available for iOS. You can still buy the VPN (again, for 20 dollars) and/or take advantage of the free apps, including Passwords.
The Business Options
For the business owners, this company offers a choice between three packages that are compatible with both Win and Mac systems. Windows Server is also supported.
- Avast Business Antivirus. This tier costs 40 dollars a year ($60 for 2 years and $72 for 3 years) and provides solid protection. With it, you’ll get Web Shield (blocks suspicious websites), Email Shield (keeps your email free from viruses), Smart Scan, CyberCapture (sends potentially dangerous files to the Lab for a detailed analysis), and more.
- Avast Business Antivirus Pro. For 50 dollars a year (75 dollars for 2 years and 90 dollars for 3 years), this package offers even better protection for your servers and data. Sharepoint Protection is an impenetrable “digital hard drive” where you can store (and share) sensitive documents. Our Avast Pro Antivirus review confirmed that it is, indeed, one of the best solutions for protecting your business.
- Avast Business Antivirus Pro Plus. The company will charge you 60 dollars a year once you confirm the purchase ($90 for 2 years and $108 for 3 years). The biggest difference between this package and the previous one is that the Avast VPN (Secureline) will come as a free bonus.
Avast Antivirus Support And Customer Service
A company this big and famous simply had to make sure that Support and Customer Service were top-notch – and they are. On the official website of Avast Antivirus you’ll find an impressive FAQ page with answers to the most popular questions. The dedicated forums are also at your disposal. The support number is toll-free; the old-fashioned users can take advantage of it. Finally, they can send tickets via email. The Avast login procedure is very simple and straightforward. With Passwords, you’ll be able to log in securely and in the blink of an eye.
Summing up, we want to say that Avast is an all-around solid antivirus solution. It is great at detecting and removing malware of all kinds. The interface is lovely, and it doesn’t put much strain on your device. There are enough packages to choose from. And, as mentioned in our brief Avast Android review, almost every single product comes with a 7-day trial. Don’t hesitate to use those trials to have a taste of what Avast is truly capable of.